Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Taking Care of Business

AGUSTA, GA - As I reflect back to the early years of my life, I remember vividly getting caught up in the “streets” and all that goes on with that lifestyle. You see I had an absentee dad who was stationed in multiple areas domestic and international throughout my formative years. All of this bodes well for a disaster for a son to not have his father in the guiding and shaping his life in the disciplining and helping him to know who he is as a man. Fast forward to age 29 years old, I was lying in prison facing a 15 year sentence and truly realizing “I wasn’t taking care of business”.

Rebuilding my life after prison was against all odds.What God had revealed to me in this process of being a new believer was that God had given me “natural” talents in working with people in the streets when I was a teenager that I used for evil that God was now going to allow me to use for good (Genesis 50:20).God has been using my gifts to use in street and prison ministry, leadership roles in the community, the trucking industry, and my previous 20 year manufacturing career. He even allowed me to use my natural born talents to win an elected city official position as a minority in a majority African American district representing 20,000 residents in a city of 200,000 people. God has truly given me much, and many opportunities throughout my life!

God has patiently schooled me several key lessons in the subject of of “taking care of HIS business.” While I believe they were targeted specifically for me, a man who had served time, I believe all men and women can benefit from them. He taught me:

Be mindful of how you represent the Lord in all you do, 
and do it all with passion!
  • How to be faithful in following through in my commitments. 
  • Integrity is vital to leading well. 
  • It is essential to be on time, if not early, to work every day to reveal and support intentional integrity. 
  • My having 13 years of perfect attendance demonstrated not only my dependability, it revealed the character of Christ. 
  • Wise choice making leads to prosperity. In choosing to take advantage of opportunities present, such as overtime offered on the job, my financial stability increased, serving as a witness that it is important to God that we not be a slave to lenders. Proverbs 22:7.
  • The importance of transparency in our role as leaders, especially when serving in an official government position. After all, you are "on stage" with an entire city watching to see if you, a self-proclaimed Christian will compromise or remain true to your character. 
  • Lastly, to take advantage of every opportunity to help the poor, especially in our own communities.

Now, after several years in the commercial real estate industry, I can look back and see how God has used every aspect of my life to bring me to this very point in time. What an honor it is to work and live in the very city that has witnessed the Lord transform my life from prisoner to passion-filled community leader. He has caused me to see first hand that in the end, it is all about His glory being revealed and increasing in relationship to know Him more fully.

I am very excited to be going into 2016-2017 with increased opportunities, a great career, a wonderful church family, a very supportive wife and a daughter who is a true prayer warrior!

Matt Aitken
Sherman & Hemstreet Real Estate Company
maitken@shermanandhemstreet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment